04 May 2006

Talk to the Hand

I've decided today that I'm sick of being well-informed. I no longer care who committed high treason by leaking a CIA official's name to the press in political assassination. I don't want to know how many people died in Iraq yesterday. When more polar bears drown thanks to global meltdown, don't come crying to me. If anyone finds out what time the rapture starts, would you please tell me then? I'll need to wash my hair and put my face on. Because I'm officially dropping out of the loop.

I came to this decision when I found myself spending my lunch hour more interested in the Home & Away episode guide than in the latest White House duplicity. But of course, the man who brought you "energy cannot be created or destroyed" also said that "every action must have an equal and opposite reaction". No, that's too complicated. I'll start over.

Here's what I propose: you remember the halcyon days of "Friends" when Phoebe was expecting her brother's babies and she craved meat, but being a vegetarian couldn't eat it until Joey offered to give up meat for the duration of the pregnancy? Well...I figure I can't give up my daily news digests until someone offers to take them on for me. The world can't afford to lose even one armchair activist (not that I'm really interested, mind). If you are willing to subscribe to any of the following, please let me know so I can bow out gracefully:

Buzzflash
Grist "doom & gloom with a sense of humour"
Truthout
Common Dreams


Yours apathetically,
Mollie

P.S. Feck carbon emissions, I'm off to find a cheap flight to somewhere sunny.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

I would volunteer to remain informed, but my back issues of Mother Jones and the Utne Reader tend to sit in a pile, sometimes underneath a non-degradable styrofoam plate made in China by a half-blind 6-year-old, containing the remnants of a Dominos pizza (all proceeds go directly to the fight against sex education, here and abroad). I do regularly feel guilty about it, which is kind of like doing something. Only, not.

2:50 pm  
Blogger Sh! eelag hnaGig said...

'Sokay. Just do what I do and occasionally shake your fist in righteous indignation. You'll feel like you've done something worthwhile.

2:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home