22 May 2006

2 Hags & a Bitch

...is the name of our new demolition company. Who's the bitch? Good question. Depends on the day of the week.

Elizabeth and I went down to the shop in Cloughjordan on Saturday to strip wallpaper, and ended up taking down a wall and half the ceiling as well. Deliberately, like. Though in a couple of places the wallpaper was holding the walls up and the plaster in. The walls are terribly damp, so the wallpaper crumbled in our hands. Though on the positive side, there was no need for scrapers and steam to get it off.

Eileen came sniffing round to see what we were up to, and as she has no self-control in matters of hammering/painting/reupholstering/lugging/digging picked up a crowbar and prised off half a wall. I've never destroyed a building before, so I joined her with a claw hammer. Before long, we were all at it. We like smashing things.

Steve the Builder put his head in the door on his way to buy eggs. This was a big mistake. I know from experience that in Cloughjordan, there is no "popping out to the shop". You always get waylaid by someone. While his wife was home waiting for the eggs needed for her son's birthday cake, Steve was measuring our shop, was disconnecting electrics, and was drawing up plans. Two hours later, he went out for his eggs. And went home empty-handed, as the shop had closed by the time he got there.

I'm sorry I didn't take my camera down with me. I started this blog to document the shop and house building works, but failed at the first outing. Will do better next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home