Damn You , Popular Search Engine
Though my blog has been strictly invitation-only, I have discovered that if you type its name into the search engine whose name originally meant "the number 10 raised to the power 100, written out as the numeral 1 followed by 100 zeros", but has since been verbifimicated* to mean "to conduct an internet search", you instantly find me and all the offensive things I may have said about people. I fear Belgium may issue a fatwa against me any day.
The problem, really, is that I used the same name as we are using for the shop. If anyone goo--oh wait...searches for our shop website, they will find my blog instead.
So I have to make a decision. Do I go into all the entries, and delete place names and references to specific people? Or do I set up a new blog with a different name? Or do I just censor myself going forward, keeping in mind that neighbours and customers could easily (and probably will) find the virtual me? Everyone in this country knows someone who knows someone who knows you. And this is a lesson I think I've finally learned.
*I don't want to name it just in case it bumps me higher in the search list
The problem, really, is that I used the same name as we are using for the shop. If anyone goo--oh wait...searches for our shop website, they will find my blog instead.
So I have to make a decision. Do I go into all the entries, and delete place names and references to specific people? Or do I set up a new blog with a different name? Or do I just censor myself going forward, keeping in mind that neighbours and customers could easily (and probably will) find the virtual me? Everyone in this country knows someone who knows someone who knows you. And this is a lesson I think I've finally learned.
*I don't want to name it just in case it bumps me higher in the search list


3 Comments:
Sweetie, just change the name of the blog to, say, Sheila Nagig. Or something cryptic. We all know.
Oh bugger. There is someone called Sheila Nagig. I don't believe it, that's a made up name surely.
Tsk.
Yeah, that's why I never use my first and last names on my blog, or anywhere else. If you g--gle me, there's pretty much no evidence that I even exist. Unless I unwittingly moved to Dublin and opened up a nice little B&B: http://www.glenairelodge.com/
I've had some lost weekends, so I suppose anything's possible ...
Post a Comment
<< Home